Readiness and complete preparation are the basic principles of firefighting. Fire inspectors should have a quick reaction in order to act in different dangerous situations. The most important aspect for fire inspectors is to follow general rules of firefighting and be able to react in unexpected situations. There are plenty of principles in the training of fire inspectors. The most fundamental are the following:Click the button, and we will write you a custom essay from scratch for only $13.00 $11.05/page 322 academic experts available
- Establishment of fire inspectors’ positions: Fire positions are usually divided according to responsibilities of inspectors taking into account the peculiarities of fire departments. Fire inspectors are to show a certain level of professional skills to provide proper fire service. Emergency actions are to be performed by them at a short period of time demonstrating a high level of proficiency. (Woodhouse, J., 2004).
- Adoption of a “road map”: In the process of fire training it is important to work out a professional plan underlining professionalism of fire inspectors. “Road map” reflects department capabilities connected with education and trainings of fire inspectors and allows establishing some specific standards and tactics of work.
- Competency (special programs of competency measure): This principle is based on the involvement only professional, qualified and skilled instructors in the training of fire inspectors. Special periodic reviews of general standards should be performed by the instructor to fire inspectors. Thus it would compulsory increase competency of personal and improve the quality of work. Instructor should also present database reports and curriculum in the process of trainings. This method would result in perfect presentation of the fire service and widen qualification of inspectors which can be important for reacting in different emergency situations. (James, L., 2007).
Conflicts can arise from the majority of sources and have different stages. Difficult circumstances in the process of fire prevention can result in a great conflict between the members of the fire department.
Firstly it can be connected with unexpected situation and causes of the fire. The methods of fire preventions can be contradictory within the department regarding skills and qualification of its members.
One more source of conflict arising is an integral part of experience obtained by the members of the fire department. Every specialist works out his own methods of fire prevention and it is contradictory for him to ignore personal skills and tactics. It usually results in a conflict atmosphere within the department and can ruin the general work of the whole group of professionals in the fire prevention. (Robertson, 2005).
A clear illustration of the conflict within the fire department can be seen on the example of fire prevention of the business building in New York. This conflict is considered to be the conflict of interests. Both fire inspectors were interested in becoming a member of a new inspection staff and thus the task was a kind of test for them. The conflict of interests resulted in the failure of proper inspection of the business center. The way out in such situation can run like this: it was important to appoint the leader chief inspector to control the methods of two fire workers. The inspectors under the management of a chief representative of fire department would completely unite their efforts to reach perfect results in inspection of the building.Only 3 hours, and you will receive a custom essay written from scratch tailored to your instructions
This concrete case shows that different stages of conflicts depend on the situation and must be viewed according to circumstances.
The basic task of firemen is to prevent fires and save lives of the whole population. That is why it is important to stress that fire education plays a significant role in the society. Fire education and life safety should be provided at any institution from schools to universities.
A great majority of modern schools provide pupils with proper educational skills covering fire prevention and life safety. Public schools, for example in New York, established special programs teaching the peculiarities of fire prevention and life safety education. A qualified Educator organizes about four classes for the graders during the whole year. This educational system is aimed at showing peculiarities of hazards within home and demonstrating strategies of their elimination. Educator presents different stages of fire prevention and explains the main points of life safety. The program teaches how to react in emergency situations and avoid risks of fire exposure. This way of teaching could help to reduce the number of fires and prevent emergency situations without any help; it can teach to inspect private buildings and reduce fire statistics. (Wilson, 2006).
Except school educational programs there should be additional systems of fire and life safety education. It is important to stress that certain fire and life safety organizations should be available for the community. As an example one can analyze such organization as Fire Corps. This organization consists of community members who provide their help in prevention and overcoming local fires. This help is viewed as a kind of support for the community and is aimed to meet all requirements of the society connected with the problems of fire and life safety. The departments of this organization are situated in many cities and cares about the safety of the population. It also provides local schools with fire and life safety education as well as senior centers. (Servers, 2006).
Fire Safety Inspection Procedures
Officer of the Fire Department is to conduct inspections annually and cover every business. Usually inspections are done by any fire inspector without appointment. People can have inspections regularly, but they should be conducted compulsory.
It is not an easy task to work out effective inspection procedures as emergency situations can be caused by any reason; even equipment failure or incorrect human act can result in fire.Get a 15% discount for your first original paper from our academic experts
- One of the most important aspects is to oversee all possible ways of building evacuation. It is necessary to create a plan of evacuation which should reflect all the aspects and ways out in case of fire. (Smith, 2003).
It is important to take into account water supply provided for the building; The amount of water available in the emergency situation should be noted during the creation of the fire procedures. In case when water supply is not enough it is important to provide necessary equipment for fire overcoming.
- Cases of exposures and fire spread are to be mentioned in the inspection procedures in order not to get in an unexpected situation. One should predict the actions of firemen in these cases beforehand and note the ways of fire spread creating a schedule. (Lambert, 2000).
In order to fulfill effective fire safety inspections procedures all the points mentioned above are to be covered in the schedule.
James, L. (2007). State Fire training and education master plan: Final draft.
Woodhouse, J. (2004). Position Classification Standard for Fire Protection and Prevention Series, US Office of Personnel Management.
Robertson, J. (2005) Introduction to Fire Prevention, Prentice Hall.
Matthew J., S. (2007) CANANDAIGUA FIRE RESCUE: ORGANIZED 1816. Annual Report.For $13.00 $11.05/page, our academic experts will deliver a completely original paper according to your requirements
Wilson, K. (2006) Fire and Life Safety Recognition Application, Office of State Fire Marshal Information. Web.
Servers, J & Whitlam, P. (2003). Safety and Risk in Primary School Physical Education: A Guide for Teachers . Routledge.
Smith, S. (2003) The Top 10 Ways to Improve Safety Management: A Panel of Safety Experts Offer Their Advice to Improve the Management of the Safety Process and Foster Leadership Vol. 65.
Lambert, B. (2000). City Inspection Procedures Faulted in Fire.